Sunday, December 12, 2010

Another book review!

Fahrenheit 451Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I have mixed feelings. I tried so hard to get into the spirit of the book but i failed each and every time. That's why I forced myself to sit down finish more than half of it in a couple of hours. And I hate it when I have to feel like I need to finish a book, not because I can't tore myself away from it but because I need to get it out of my sight and mind as soon as possible.

I like reading utopias, from More's Utopia to Orwell's 1984 to Huxley's Brave New World, I read and loved each and every one of them but the characters in Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 didn't hold my interest at all. Clarisse, Montag, Mildred, Beatty, Faber, Granger.. all strong yet somehow stuck characters for me. Beatty and Faber were my favorites among the rest but yet again, they were not enough.

Maybe if I read this book in a different time under different circumstances, it might have been more enjoyable, though, I still highly doubt that. For me, for a book to have meaning, it should leave a mark, make a change on my perception, if nothing else, just remind itself to me at the most unexpected moments, take a hint from the everyday life and remember one of the characters. In short, become a part of me.

I don't think I had such bond with this book.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if all of his work is like that 'cos I recently got 'The October Country' by him and am rather excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete